DRESS CODE INFORMATION
August 02, 2012
Dress codes in all of our school buildings have been updated for the new year. Please read below for the dress code in each building.
VERMILION HIGH SCHOOL DRESS CODE 2012-2013
Students of Vermilion High School are expected to dress and groom themselves in good taste. The school administration reserves the right to determine what constitutes acceptable and appropriate clothing and accessories. If any student has any doubt that a specific article of clothing or accessory does not meet the standard set forth in this dress code, do not wear it. Any extreme modes of dress or grooming that may be distracting or not in good taste, including body/facial piercing will be considered a violation of this policy. New to the dress code this year: Flip flops and shoes without backs are permitted.
The following are violations of the dress code:
- Shirts without sleeves (baring arms and/or shoulders), bare midriffs or backs
- Pants not worn at a student’s true waist
- Sleepwear, pajama pants, boxers or slippers
- Exposed undergarments (bras and underpants)
- Dark glasses
- Torn or ripped clothing, including those purchased that way
- Chains, chained wallets, spikes, bands worn on arms, necks or elsewhere
- Any item of clothing with unacceptable words or illustrations, including symbols or words relating to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, prison, sex, destructive slogans, etc.
- All head wear including hats, headbands, bandanas and hoods
- Shorts and skirts must be long enough to reach the end of a student’s fingertips when the arm and hand are extended to their full length at their side. Spandex, yoga pants and leggings worn alone are not allowed.
- Girls are not permitted to wear low-cut tops exposing cleavage.
- Outdoor apparel (coats, jackets, hoods, hats, gloves, etc.) may not be worn in the building during instructional hours.
- Any item of apparel that disrupts the educational process is subject to review by the administration.
Students will be asked to change for dress code violations, and if necessary, contact a parent to bring appropriate clothing to the school. Students will be placed in ISR while waiting for a change of clothes.
SAILORWAY MIDDLE SCHOOL DRESS CODE 2012-2013
We, at Sailorway, feel that the way a student dresses for school contributes to his/her performance both as a student and as a school citizen. Students should come to school neat and clean, dressed in appropriate, comfortable clothing. It is extremely difficult to establish a dress code satisfactory to all without becoming more restrictive than we prefer. Clothing which might be acceptable in the classrooms of younger children could conceivably be inappropriate for upper grade children. The administration reserves the right to question dress, and if necessary, take proper action. Specific examples of dress determined inappropriate are:
- Sleeveless shirts, tank tops, muscle shirts, or bare midriff tops.
- Girls are not permitted to wear Low cut tops exposing cleavage.
- Students may not wear any type of sweat pant, pajama pant, or flannel pant, spandex, or boxer shorts, chains, bandannas, hats or caps.
- Shorts or skirts must be appropriate in length. A good rule of thumb is that shorts or skirts may not be more than two inches above the knee.
- Pants may not be frayed, patched or have holes. Pants are to be worn at the waist not exposing undergarments.
- Students are not permitted to wear any type of clothing with unacceptable words or illustrations, or which bear symbols or words relating to alcohol, drugs, prison, sex, destructive slogans, etc.
- No loud, dyed hair coloring is permitted.
- No facial piercings are permitted.
- Outdoor apparel (coats or jackets) are not permitted in class.
VERMILION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DRESS CODE 2012-2013
It is the responsibility of parents and teachers to help each boy and girl develop a sense of pride in their appearance. This is the first step in developing pride in their work, work habits and ambitions. Parents are requested to supervise the dress of their sons and daughters so that the mode of dress does not distract from the learning process. Students should come to school neat and clean, dressed in appropriate, comfortable clothing. Any extreme modes of dress or grooming that may be distracting or not in good taste will be considered a violation of this policy. Parents will be called to bring appropriate clothing to school.
Children must be dressed for the weather as they will be expected to participate in the full activities of the school day, including recess. Proper outdoor clothing for recess time is important so that your child can enjoy the recreation during Ohio's changeable weather. During the winter months, students must have a change of shoes from their outdoor, snow boots. Students must have sneakers for gym days. Parents are advised not to send children to school in expensive clothing that could be ruined by stains from food, paint, and grass or outside activities.
The Vermilion Elementary School Dress Code prohibits the following:
- Inappropriate footwear that presents a walking hazard - high or narrow heels, roller sneakers
- Flannel/pajama pants or boxer shorts
- Extreme hair styles including hair dye of unnatural color
- Brief, revealing or excessively tight clothing
- Make up
- Hats – other than for medical or religious reasons
- Vulgar, offensive messages that denigrate others on the basis of race, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability or that promote something that is prohibited to minors such as alcohol, tobacco or drugs.