The district/school must provide assistance to parents annually in understanding the State's academic content and achievement standards, academic assessments, requirements of Title I, how to monitor a child's progress and how to work with educators.
Vermilion Local Schools conducts parent conferences twice each school year. Buildings host Curriculum Nights, Open Houses, etc.
The district/school must provide materials and training annually to help parents work with their children to improve achievement.
Vermilion Local Schools have parent involvement materials, which can be loaned to parents. Annual parent meetings are scheduled to provide parents with suggestions on how they can help their children at home.
The district/school must educate teachers, pupil personnel, principals and other staff in their value and utility of contributions of parents and how to work with parents to build ties between parents and school.
Vermilion Local Schools provides professional development activities related to working with parents and promoting partnerships.
The district/school must, as feasible and appropriate, coordinate parent involvement programs with Reading First, Early Reading First, Even Start, Home Instruction Programs for Preschool Youngsters, Parents as Teachers Program, public preschool and other programs.
Vermilion Local Schools hosts Parents as Teachers and a Special Needs Public Preschool. Both are housed in our district buildings, thereby providing these parents access to all parent programs offered in the district.
The district/school must ensure that information related to school and parent activities is sent to the parents of participating children in a format and language parents can understand.
This is included in the Vermilion Local Schools Parent Involvement Policy.
The district/school must provide reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents may request.
Vermilion Local Schools annually surveys parents requesting their input. Through district support, PTO programs, and other resources the district is responsive to parent requests.
The district must request parent/community comments on the improvement plan and the parent involvement policy, both the district written policy, and the school building policy.
Vermilion Local Schools surveys parents and conducts parent meetings annually for the purposes listed above.
A written parental involvement policy shall be developed jointly with, agreed upon with, and distributed to parents of participating children.
Vermilion Local Schools Title I buildings have a jointly developed parent involvement policy that is reviewed annually at each building and distributed to all Title I served children. As a component of the parent involvement policy, each school must jointly develop with parents a school-parent compact, which is to include the following:
- An annual meeting to explain the requirements and the right of the parents to be involve
- A flexible number of meetings
- Involvement of parents in the planning, review and improvement of the school parent compact
The district may also choose to:
- Involve parents in the development of training programs for teachers,principals and other educators.
- Provide literacy training to parents
- Pay reasonable expenses for parent activities including transportation and child care costs-
- Provide training to parents to enhance the involvement of other parents
- Maximize parent participation by scheduling meetings at various times or as in-home conferences with parents not able to attend meetings
- Adopt model approaches to improving parental involvement
- Establish a district-wide parent advisory council to provide advice on all matters related to parental involvement
- Develop appropriate roles for community-based organizations and businesses in parent activities